Thank you for support in making sure that the appropriate school uniform is being worn. Further to the information provided we understand that for some time black shorts have been accepted for PE kit (although the uniform had stated blue previously). We are happy to accept either blue or black shorts as a part of the PE kit from now on (particularly since we understand that black shorts are more readily available in the shops). We will make sure this change is added to the uniform list on the school’s website.
It is our school policy that all children wear school uniform when in school and while on trips.
This policy is based on the belief that school uniform:
• promotes a sense of pride in the school;
• gives a sense of community and belonging;
• is practical and smart;
• identifies children with the school;
• is not distracting in class (as fashion items can be);
• makes children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance;
• is regarded as suitable, and good value for money, by most parents; and
• has been designed with health and safety in mind.
We would like to remind all parents of the school uniform requirements listed below and ask you to ensure that your child comes to school appropriately dressed.
• White or pale blue shirt/polo shirt
• Black or dark grey trousers/shorts/skirt/pinafore
• Maroon jumper or Somersham sweatshirt/cardigan/fleece (no hoodies)
• Blue and white checked dress and sandals (summer only)
• Socks should be black/grey. Children in skirts/dresses may wear white socks.
• Tights should be black/grey. Please note that leggings are not permitted in school.
• Flat, smart black shoes or smart black trainers with no markings. (No slip-on shoes,crocs, flip-flops or high heels for safety reasons)
• Headscarves (without pins) and hair ties should be plain and in school colours only (grey/pale blue/white/black).
• Children are not permitted to wear make-up or nail varnish in school.
• Jewellery may not be worn in school, except for religious items.
• Pupils may wear one pair of small, plain stud earrings. Hooped and drop earrings are not allowed for health and safety reasons. Pupils may wear a wrist watch.
• All jewellery must be removed during PE lessons, or covered with a sweatband. If children cannot remove their ear studs, they will be given tape with which to cover them.
• Black / Blue shorts (indoors and outdoors) /jogging bottoms (outdoor only)
• black plimsolls or plain black trainers which do not cover the ankle
• white t-shirt (separate from their school shirt)
• spare ankle socks
• kit bag with name clearly marked (rucksacs are not easy to store on cloakroom pegs)
• long hair must be tied back during PE lessons
School uniform can be ordered from Impressions in the village.
Please ensure that your child’s school uniform, coat and lunchbox etc. are clearly labelled.
At Somersham Primary School our children spend important learning time outside each day and therefore need to dress according to the British weather conditions throughout the year. A named lightweight waterproof is a good stand by all year round, and can be stored easily at school on cloakroom pegs.
Please note: Whilst there is no legislation specific to school uniform, as part of its responsibility for the conduct of the school, a governing body can specify a uniform which pupils are required to wear. It is for the headteacher to ensure that the policy is adhered to. Most schools in England have school uniform or a dress code, and other rules on appearance